In this “how to style” series, I’m sharing tips on how to style your bedroom. Check out the tips on decorating your nightstand and styling your dresser, and then keep reading below while I dig into how to style your bed.
Have you ever wanted to know how you can quickly style your bed? I’m sure you have. Who doesn’t want a beautiful bed?! When you walk into any bedroom, it’s the bed that you notice first. But why does the bed tend to get neglected? I don’t think people dislike having a pretty bed, it’s just that they don’t want to take forever-and-a-day making it pretty. I feel ya! I used to think that buying a bed in a bag would get me the pretty bed look. But then I realized that wasn’t enough. That’s why today, I’m going to share my top tips to help you create a beautifully styled bed you can get googly-eyed over. But before we dive in, go ahead and join my FREE Decorating Made Easy Challenge. You’ll learn the tricks to easily decorate your home, even if you don’t have an eye for design. Now, let’s get started.
How To Style A Bed Like A Pro
In order to style a bed like a pro (or copy the styles you see in the latest décor magazines or social media accounts) you need to start with a few basics.
Some great bed items include:
- A set of good sheets (flat and fitted)
- Quilt or coverlet
- Duvet or comforter
- Bed skirt
- Throw pillows
How To Style A Bed With Pillows
I’m going to focus my tips on how to decorate your bed with throw pillows. Even though layering your bed with covers and quilts, duvets and comforters will help style the overall look of your bed, the quickest way to get a pulled together look is to decorate your bed with pillows. For styling, plan on having three layers of pillows.
- Large pillows that lay against the headboard
- Medium sized pillows, either solid color or decorative design
- Decorative pillow to place in front and center of the bed
To start with styling your bed, place the large square or Euro pillows closest to the headboard. These will help add height and layer to the bed. I prefer to use 3 large white square pillows on my King size bed.
The next layer of pillows would either be your pillowcases or pillow shams. These will sit directly in front of the Euro shams. And, if you have a king size bed like me, I highly suggest you get king sized shams and pillows. Otherwise, everything will look a bit off because of the scale. You can buy these pillows to match your sheets or match the color scheme of your room. Feel free to get creative here and use different color patterns (prints or solids) and textures.
The last layer of pillows will be the decorative pillow. This will go front and center of the bed. You can use either lumbar support pillows, circular throw pillows or traditional square throw pillows here. Think of this as a chance to tie everything together or spice things up a bit. And feel free to play with color, texture or style.
How To Dress A Bed Like A Designer
We just covered how you can quickly style your bed by using the right throw pillows and putting them in place. At a quick glance, you’d think that a few throw pillows aren’t going to do much to transform and beautify your bed. But you’d be wrong. And to prove it to you, now we’re going to dig in a bit deeper and talk about the different styles and arrangements you can make with your throw pillows.
- All white – even an all-white set of pillows can beautify your bed and add enhance the style and décor of your bedroom. An all-white pillow arrangement will look really pretty in an all-white bedroom. It will also brighten up the room and provide nice contrast to a very dark one with dark colored walls.
- Monochromatic Look – I have this style as option #13 in my Bedroom Styling Guide. This is where you pick a color and stick with it throughout all of your pillow arrangements. I picked the colors cream with light tan details. You would use the same colors throughout the bed décor.
- Pops of Color – you can use your throw pillows to add pops of color to your bed and bedroom as a whole. I used bright yellow pillows in several of my bedroom inspiration photos because they bring so much light and cheerfulness into the room. You can choose whichever color you want to enhance to the typical mood of your room. The pops of color can be large throw pillows that go in front of your Euro shams, and even add a small center throw or lumbar pillow in front.
- Blended Look – for this look, you’ll have a few throw pillows that take color from either your Euro shams or comforter. And then balance that color against any other colors in your room, like the accent chair, wall color or any other accessories. This is the chance to tie everything together, so it all looks intentional. Pictures 1, 2 and 12 demonstrate this well in the Bedroom Styling Guide.
How To Quickly Style A Bed With Ease
We just covered how you can quickly style your bed. I started off by going over a list of items that you can add to your bed to make it look more decorative. These few pillows are a quick and easy way to enhance the style of your bedroom. I hope by now you realize that having a gorgeous bed doesn’t have to be hard, difficult, or take a lot of time. With that said, if you’d like to turn your bedroom into your favorite room of the house, be sure to join my FREE Decorating Made Easy Challenge. You’ll learn the tricks to easily decorate your home, even if you don’t have an eye for design.
And please, take a few minutes and leave a comment below and let me know how these tips have helped you.
- How To Decorate Any Room From Start To Finish In 10 Easy Steps
- How To Quickly Style A Nightstand With Ease
- How To Quickly Decorate A Dresser With Ease
- How To Create A Bedroom You Love Without Spending Thousands On Big Ticket Furniture Items