Are you looking for ideas on the small changes you can make to turn your house into a home? Great! I’ve got a list to help you. When I think of home, I tend to think back to my childhood and the feelings of comfort. When times are hard, or when days are long, it’s your home, your refuge, that you long most for. And taking the time to create a comfortable home environment that you love to spend time in is one of the best things you can do to create more joy in your life. To start, here’s a free gift that will help, grab my Turn Your House Into A Home You Love Worksheet. Now let’s get started.
Small Touches To Make A House Into A Home
- Add personality – adding personality to your space is an obvious way to make it feel more like a home. But honestly, I think some people stray away from adding personality because of fear. They don’t know how to pull a room together and they don’t want to make any mistakes. I feel you! A quick tip to add personality, while also making your home look cohesive and pulled together is to have balance with your theme and continuity with color.
- Add family pictures – What is a home if it doesn’t actually showcase you? So, make it a point to add family photos throughout. Feel free to add larger photo prints to the walls instead of a generic painting. You can also group smaller pictures together with a gallery wall.
- Use a signature scent – I know scent isn’t exactly one of the first things people think about when they want to turn their house into a home they love, but it should be! What’s one of the things you most remember about visiting Grandma’s house? The warmth of her hug, the taste of her food and the smell of her apple pie baking in the oven. The smell of home is the invisible that lets you know that you’ve arrived and that you’re in a safe space.
- Get rid of the clutter – Now, let’s be real. For some people, having mounds of clutter will remind them of their childhood home. But I’d bet that those memories won’t come with warm and fuzzy feelings. Those memories will probably be laced with disorder and chaos. So, to help make your house feel more like a home that you actually want to spend time in, you’ll need to kick clutter to the curb and actively work to keep it clutter free.
- Have a place to relax – home is where you comfort yourself after a long day of work. It’s also where you rejuvenate yourself after a long day of play. It’s your safe haven and your place to relax. You can create a reading area or simply make your favorite chair more inviting. The goal to make your house feel more like you and to intentionally create a space or two where you can relax, and, well, feel at home.
- Add décor and accessories – using your décor and accessories to showcase your personality are great ways to give your home meaning. You can add personality, color and texture to any space. Some décor ideas that work to add character and personality include candles, flowers, throw pillows, decorative storage boxes and decorative trays. To add a bit of personality, make sure you add accessories that are sentimental or that showcase your hobbies or interest.
- Add wall decor – like I discussed earlier, you can add your family photos to the wall to help make your house feel more like your But there are so many other options when it comes to wall décor. Adding artwork, mirrors and clocks are other options to add color and variety to a blank wall.
- Add curtains – I love curtains in a home! They add color, texture, length (height) and warmth. Even if you choose to use plantation shutters or window shades as your window covering, adding curtains can still add visual interest to the space.
- Create zones – zones are areas where you do certain tasks in your home. If you’re a household of readers, it would make since to create at least one reading nook for everyone to use. The same goes for a family that likes to play game together, or someone likes to do crafting.
- Add lighting – the right lighting and lamps can add a since of warmth to a space. Lighting can impact and create a mood of ambiance. The type of lighting you choose, whether it’s overhead lighting or a table lamp makes a difference. So does the intensity of the light, whether it’s bright or dim. There are several different ways to create the home environment you’d like to be in.
Small Changes Anyone Can Take To Turn A House Into A Home
We just covered a list of 10 ways and small touches and changes you can talk to turn your house into a home you love. There’s no rule that says you have to do all of these. You can pick and choose what you’ll do to make your house more comfortable and enjoyable for you. You just need to do what feels right for your space. One great place to start is grab my free Turn Your House Into A Home You Love Worksheet and get started today.
And please, take a few minutes and leave a comment below and let me know how these tips have helped you.
- The Top 10 Home Décor Styles Explained
- How To Decorate Any Room From Start To Finish In 10 Easy Steps
- The 4 Home Décor Truths That Make Decorating Easier
- 10 Ways To Have Your House Look More Put Together
Want to remember this? Click the image to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board!